Wednesday, June 27, 2012

Gaaaaa! How best do I fix this?

                 I finished hand-sewing the binding, washed it, threw it in the dryer, and look!
I don't have anymore fabric, these were all scraps.  The pink/brown print frayed away from the dark brown velvet, or velour, whatever it is.  Now what?  This is the first time this has ever happened to me!
I would love some advice, please!  I should have taken a pic of the entire thing.  It's a table runner, for ME!  And I love it.  After I fix it I will show the whole thing, which I have posted about before.
And, Linda, thanks for the info on the lighting.  I will look into that.  It's very disappointing when I have some beautiful colored fabric and it looks blah, just like the above pictures, which I took outside just now at 7:45 a.m.  
Have a great day, everybody!
~ Jodi ~


6 comments:

  1. So sorry Jodi! I hate the disappointments of a fail on a finished piece, but don't despair!
    1-It can be whipped with tiny hand stitches and then apply something like fray check, or,
    2-tug the edges together and machine stitch it down, or,
    3-fuse on a flattering shape over the repair and stitch it down.
    Since it is yours, do the one that makes you happy. Show us the afters, it is worth the fix!
    :-}pokey

    ReplyDelete
  2. I can't tell for sure, but is that separation within the quilt? Or is it along the binding? If it was mine, I'd start by pressing Steam-a-Seam between the pieces. Or, a fusible interfacing to secure it on the separated side. Overlap the edges a little if you can. Then either hand-sew to repair, or zig-zag topstitch it. Like Pokey suggests, this might be the perfect place for an applique. How about a butterfly, or flower, or lady bug? Glad to have made a helpful suggestion about lighting. We all learn from each other, don't we?

    ReplyDelete
  3. Bummer. I think I would try to topstitch it back down. It may have a little pucker, but that's okay. After a few more washes you won't see it : )

    ReplyDelete
  4. I was going to say what Linda and Pokey suggested, perhaps try and find a scrap somewhere that will work with the other fabrics and maybe applique a half strip along to cover it up, and definitely use the Steam-a-Seam to prevent the brown fraying any more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I'd just applique a flower on top of it or something. It would completely cover it up and add some extra cute to your tablerunner - I bet no one would know unless you told them.

    ReplyDelete

I love to hear from you!